Author Topic: New-to-me 2009 GSR 600!  (Read 448 times)

Offline mcljot

New-to-me 2009 GSR 600!
« on: 28 January, 2018, 12:17:43 »
Hi folks, I'm based in Cork, Ireland, and I'm looking at a few GSR600s. Have been researching everything about them and seems like a good fit for me :) I hope to find a gem in the UK and travel over to buy in the next couple of weeks.

If anyone is selling theirs, do please let me know!

Thanks,
Alex
« Last Edit: 14 February, 2018, 13:34:16 by mcljot »

Offline sheldimus

• Biking King
  • If something is hard to do, it's not worth doing.
Re: Soon to buy GSR600
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2018, 14:43:43 »
Hello there and welcome aboard!  ;)

Keep an eye on Autotrader as a starting point, private sales tend to be the best option in my experience.

Plenty of helpful and knowledgeable folks in here to help you out too.  8)
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.
Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?!

Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail..

Offline mcljot

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2018, 17:09:18 »
Thanks sheldimus :)

I have found a clean looking 2006 600 for a reasonable price but the rev counter is not working. Is the dash a sealed unit? Is it likely I could repair the clock, or would it be a case of buying a replacement? If so - do I also need immobiliser, ignition barrel, and keys?

Thanks!

Offline Porky

• Biking King
  • Life is supposed to get easier as you Age- lol
« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2018, 21:46:06 »
or is it the sender to the tacho that's at fault??

Offline mcljot

« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2018, 15:13:30 »
Not sure Porky - where is the sender located, and can I test it with a multimeter? I am coming from off-road bikes where the only tach options are aftermarket ones that are a wire that you wrap around the coil and it detects each spark and calculates RPM from that. Is it the same on road bikes? Thanks

edit: The tach needle does not do a full sweep on ignition on, suggesting maybe a needle motor issue? Speedo and odo are operating normally.
« Last Edit: 05 February, 2018, 15:35:10 by mcljot »

Offline Porky

• Biking King
« Reply #5 on: 05 February, 2018, 19:12:19 »
just an idea, not sure myself how it works, lol

Offline biker

• Global Moderator
  • Biking King
« Reply #6 on: 05 February, 2018, 22:29:04 »
Not sure Porky - where is the sender located, and can I test it with a multimeter? I am coming from off-road bikes where the only tach options are aftermarket ones that are a wire that you wrap around the coil and it detects each spark and calculates RPM from that. Is it the same on road bikes? Thanks

edit: The tach needle does not do a full sweep on ignition on, suggesting maybe a needle motor issue? Speedo and odo are operating normally.

I think I have an instrument cluster for the GSR600, you can have it if you want it.
Move on be brave don't weep at my grave because I'm no longer here, but please never let your memories of me disappear.

The Spirit Carries On. Dream Theatre

Offline mcljot

« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2018, 18:18:39 »
Thanks Porky - I'll see how I get on! :)

Biker, that's a very kind offer - I will let you know if I go ahead and buy the bike. If I do, I would definitely be interested! Thanks!

Offline mcljot

« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2018, 00:28:16 »
Hi folks, well, decided against the one with the broken clock and went with this 2009 in grey/red. Very pleased - she arrives on Thursday or maybe Friday :-)

Almost totally standard. So first up are levers and tail tidy. I've also got plans for whenever I get to them – exhaust, pillion handle delete, radiator shrouds (are these not a standard part?), pimp the seat a bit, headlight and side light bulbs, braided brake lines. And of course I'll start off my ownership with oil, oil filter, and air filter.

Did I say I'm very pleased :-) I do get the feeling I'm coming to this game 10 years too late though :D

« Last Edit: 13 February, 2018, 00:29:48 by mcljot »

Offline biker

• Global Moderator
  • Biking King
« Reply #9 on: 14 February, 2018, 07:56:18 »
Looks like you found yourself a cracker there mate, well done.

The radiator shrouds were standard and should be fitted. I think I still have a set of those in the shed, if I have them they are yours  ;)
Move on be brave don't weep at my grave because I'm no longer here, but please never let your memories of me disappear.

Offline mcljot

« Reply #10 on: 14 February, 2018, 13:33:52 »
Looks like you found yourself a cracker there mate, well done.

The radiator shrouds were standard and should be fitted. I think I still have a set of those in the shed, if I have them they are yours  ;)

Thank you Biker :)  If you do have them I would love to get them from you! Will supply beer-tokens  ;)

Do you have a complete bike in the shed, in parts?  :D

Edit: Love your signature. Must revisit Dream Theater soon!
« Last Edit: 14 February, 2018, 13:37:14 by mcljot »

Offline Porky

• Biking King
Re: New-to-me 2009 GSR 600!
« Reply #11 on: 14 February, 2018, 15:37:10 »
Very tidy gsr  you got there, not sure you’ll find a grab rail cover thing, they were like hens teeth years ago.

Offline mcljot

« Reply #12 on: 14 February, 2018, 17:51:06 »
Very tidy gsr  you got there, not sure you’ll find a grab rail cover thing, they were like hens teeth years ago.

Thanks Porky :)

I've found 3 sellers of the pillion handle delete:

https://www.s2-concept.com/boutique/habillage/obturateurs/obturateur-poign%C3%A9e-gsr600-brut-detail

http://www.arkam-motos.com/crbst_928.html

https://www.taras-compositi.com/scegli-la-tua-moto/suzuki/gsr-600/
 >:D 8)

I have a question - what is the thickness of the standard bar, right next to the central bar clamp? Thanks!
« Last Edit: 14 February, 2018, 17:54:19 by mcljot »

Offline mcljot

« Reply #13 on: 16 February, 2018, 18:13:53 »
Thank you Biker :)  If you do have them I would love to get them from you! Will supply beer-tokens  ;)

Do you have a complete bike in the shed, in parts?  :D

Edit: Love your signature. Must revisit Dream Theater soon!

Hey again Biker - if you have those rad scoop thingies to hand I'd like to send you a few quid for them  ;)

Here she is, arrived safe and sound:

Offline biker

• Global Moderator
  • Biking King
« Reply #14 on: 21 February, 2018, 14:52:36 »
Hey again Biker - if you have those rad scoop thingies to hand I'd like to send you a few quid for them  ;)

I have spent the last week turning my shed and garage upside down looking for these mate, but can't find where I have put them. If I can find them you can have them for the cost of the postage, sadly at the moment I haven't a clue what I have done with them.