Author Topic: 2nd gear crunch and lurching  (Read 201 times)

Offline mcljot

2nd gear crunch and lurching
« on: 05 April, 2018, 16:39:16 »
Hi folks,

Was riding along in slow speed traffic, missed an upshift into 2nd and it went into neutral, but without neutral registering on the dash (dash was just blank). I clutched and pressed down to shift back into first and the bike crunched, and went into first. Since then - over about 30 minutes of riding - when I'm in 2nd gear, the throttle is extremely snatchy. Not the normal throttle snatch, but when coming on and off the throttle it's a more extreme lurch. A few times I was balanced in between throttle on and throttle off, and the bike was lurching back and forth pretty violently, presumably as the fuel injection received rapid on/off signals.

It seems like a gearbox thing rather than a fueling thing, which is a horrible thought. Has anyone had a similar experience? So far it's only happened in 2nd gear.

Cheers,
Alex

Offline Wullie

Re: 2nd gear crunch and lurching
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2018, 22:11:05 »
Random idea but mine used to feel like that when the chain was loose. Maybe it's just that but you're super aware of it because you think the mis shift caused damage?

Offline mcljot

Re: 2nd gear crunch and lurching
« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2018, 23:46:24 »
Thanks Wullie - yeah the chain is a bit loose, I'll tighten it up before the next spin. I went out today today briefly and had no issue... typical! I wonder if it is a hot-bike symptom, as today I didn't get over 90 C...