Author Topic: Engine cutting out  (Read 311 times)

Offline mwornell

Engine cutting out
« on: 02 January, 2019, 19:40:58 »
Hi all,

I'd be grateful if anyone can offer some insight into a problem I'm having with my GSR 600 K7. Every so often the engine just cuts out completely, no stuttering or loss of power beforehand. The only light which comes up on the dash is the key light. The bike restarts immediately, I don't even need to pull over; just pull the clutch in and hit the start button. The frequency varies; yesterday on my ten minute trip in to work it happened once, today about 8 or 10 times. The side stand spring seems OK and there's nothing wobbly seeming about the stand safety button, killswitch seems solid, battery terminals are tight and that's about the limit of my technical abilities. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Offline biker

• Global Moderator
  • Biking King
Re: Engine cutting out
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2019, 16:19:09 »
Is it cutting out when you shout the throttle off? If so check what the idle speed is set to, from memory I think it should be between 1200-1400 RPM. I remember this being an issue for some members a while back.
Move on be brave don't weep at my grave because I'm no longer here, but please never let your memories of me disappear.

The Spirit Carries On. Dream Theatre

Offline mwornell

« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2019, 19:38:27 »
Hi Biker,

Thanks for the input. I think the tickover is in that general area, albeit at the low end.
An update.
Short version:I'm back in love with my baby again.
Long version: after the very bad day on the 2nd I went over all the basics again and made sure to get a screwdriver onto the battery connections rather than just seeing if they felt tight. I was able to tighten them a bit and this seemed to help, getting me back to one cutting out episode per day. Yesterday we attacked it again, removing a couple of panels and doing a lot of wire wobbling. We also did the ghetto dealer mode thing and found no codes. Later that evening the bike wouldn't start and had to be bumped in the end. This morning I got a new battery and voila it started without hesitation and didn't cut out once during a two hour run out. So, the current hypothesis is that the battery was knackered. I did notice that the battery I took out was not the one which there's a receipt for among the paperwork I got with the bike so either a previous owner popped a slightly knackered one in and kept the good one for their next bike or my bike chews through a battery in about two years. Does that sound about normal?

Best

Mark

Offline biker

• Global Moderator
  • Biking King
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2019, 23:04:09 »
Fingers crossed you are sorted mate  :thumbsup
Move on be brave don't weep at my grave because I'm no longer here, but please never let your memories of me disappear.

The Spirit Carries On. Dream Theatre

Offline mwornell

« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2019, 20:40:56 »
A further update just in case at any point in the future someone is looking for info on the same problem.
The battery change improved things hugely but still getting one cut out per journey on average so decided today to adjust the tickover, per Biker's suggestion, to nudge it towards the top end of the 12-14000rpm range. As a reference I used the Youtube series on GSR600's from user The garage of Jose Manuel H. Looks like a useful resource, doubly so if you speak Spanish (sadly I don't but you can tell a lot from a picture). Ended up taking a lot of stuff off of the bike which I didn't actually need to (if you know what you are feeling for, the tickover adjustment can be reached from underneath after removing the black panel from the L/H side).
Result; no cut out on the journey home this evening, will be keeping an eye on things to see what develops.
Side note: during reassembly my right front indicator stopped working, turned out to be a broken wire into the multiplug. Took five minutes to fix and about forty five to find. My, how we laughed...

Take care all,

Mark

Offline sheldimus

• Biking King
  • If something is hard to do, it's not worth doing.
« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2019, 09:52:00 »
Took five minutes to fix and about forty five to find. My, how we laughed...

Ah yes, my most favourite type of jobs!  >:( ;)
It's these jobs that made swearing much more of a creative process. :D
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.
Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?!

Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail..

Offline davey g

« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:45:14 »
Nice one keep us updated, as the 600 gets older fault finding info is very helpful, had mine  11 years this month no plans to move it on.