Author Topic: Following the crowd...  (Read 876 times)

Offline NW Sparky

Following the crowd...
« on: 15 June, 2014, 22:02:57 »
I was invited out with a customer on Wednesday and I was shown very quickly how slow I ride! :o
However this didn't bother me, I'll set my own pace but it did make me try to follow their lines, it very quickly encouraged me to go in wide, shoot for the apex and power out! I knew this in theory but only following others gave me the balls to commit to it :D
Went out at 7.30am today and pushed myself to take every corner correctly, what a buzz it was to feel the bike flowing through corners and roundabouts! So glad I went out with superior riders now, you don't have to keep up to learn from better riders... ;)

Offline biker

• Global Moderator
  • Biking King
Re: Following the crowd...
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2014, 22:26:22 »
There is no better feeling than getting a series of bends spot on.............. If only...lol
Move on be brave don't weep at my grave because I'm no longer here, but please never let your memories of me disappear.

The Spirit Carries On. Dream Theatre

Offline rockycoyote

• Biking King
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2014, 22:54:23 »
i got out today first time in a long time to look for some new wheels but mind was not on riding and nearly stuffed up some country road bends but the bits that clicked where great .

saw a b king following on the way home never seen one on the road before let him pass me and 4 cars in front what a bike just awsome power and sound i want one even more now .

Offline bobdylan

• Biking King
« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2014, 06:24:47 »
Sparky,  that is exactly what i need. I nearly always ride alone so i never improve. Really annoying, Glad you had a good ride out ;)
dont clean, just ride

Offline sheldimus

• Biking King
  • If something is hard to do, it's not worth doing.
« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2014, 09:25:41 »
Learn by doing. Always the best way.  ;)
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.
Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?!

Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail..

Offline redgpzrider

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2014, 09:42:24 »
Learn by doing. Always the best way.  ;)

+1 you get better with practice ... applies to almost every activity in humankind.  8)
It is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Offline korni

• Too much is simply not enough...
« Reply #6 on: 21 June, 2014, 20:46:43 »
Sparky,  that is exactly what i need. I nearly always ride alone so i never improve. Really annoying, Glad you had a good ride out ;)

I am not quite sure if following others is the best case, unless you know they are good riders.

For example, there are these biker groups on FB that post videos of bike accidents. Whenever I see them, in most cases I find that riders don't ride correct*.

It might be worth investing in a bike school or have a thorough read through the twist of the wrist to understand how things work.
As said above, no matter what, you need practice. But you also need the knowledge to develop the skills.

*(On a side note, there is no point blaming the cagers even if they have done something wrong. When I ride I only rely on what I will/can do and not what the cars "should do if the knew I was there". I just assume they don't have a clue about my presence. Keeps me in reality, as this is what really happens.)

Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
...to accomplish after striving is not worthy of being called accomplishment...

Offline Serrisan

• Biking King
« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2014, 10:20:48 »
I know what you mean... I used to go on rideouts with faster riders and whilst it would be a mental challenge to stay focused, I did see my riding improve, becoming a bit more flowing.

Sadly binning it a few times means now my levels of confidence are back to where I was 2-3 years ago. Started commuting on KTM and was making so many mistakes. So yesterday in the sun when I knew road conditions were perfect I went solo on some very local roads for about 1.5hrs. There's something to be said also about doing your own thing and my confidence improved a lot. :)

It is great having nice lanes 5 mins away from home :D

Offline bobdylan

• Biking King
« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2014, 17:30:56 »
So true, Serri ;)
dont clean, just ride